The Club & History
In November of 1898, the one hundred fifty members of the Cambridge Golf and Country Club changed its name to Oakley Country Club. Oakley was founded upon two principles: First, to provide an opportunity for outdoor sports and second, to provide a congenial meeting place for friends. Although many changes have occurred during the past century, the principal purposes remain the foundation of Oakley's reputation and success.
Our original Charles Bulfinch-designed clubhouse was built as a residence in 1808 and as Oakley's clubhouse became the focal point for all activities for 65 years. Shortly after the club was founded, a young golfer arrived from Scotland to redesign Oakley's golf course and to compete professionally in America. Donald Ross would grow from his initial employment at Oakley as a golf pro, to greenkeeper and club maker, to become one of the legendary golf course architects of the twentieth century.
While any "Donald Ross" course is distinctive and distinguished, the uniqueness of Oakley Country Club's Golf Course is that it represents the very first Ross golf course design in America.
In 1963, fire destroyed the magnificent original clubhouse; however, Oakley's membership responded quickly and constructed a clubhouse that served the membership well for over thirty years. Our newly constructed clubhouse was completed for our Centennial Celebration in 1998. The new clubhouse accommodates an expanding membership in an elegant style reminiscent of the turn of the twentieth century.
Excitement for our second century abounds. Our clubhouse and social activities, our pool and tennis events and our classic golfing venue await a new era of Oakley competition and camaraderie. Every generation of Oakley members has passed along a deep affection for our traditions and our spirit of neighborly fellowship. We sincerely hope that you will join in the Oakley spirit, enjoy our enviable facilities and help us make Oakley an even better environment for sport and socializing in the years to come.